Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Speakers of the Convention

Donald Trump is a very controversial nominee, in which many Republicans do not even fully support him. Finding speakers for the RNC has seem to be a very difficult challenge for this convention this year. As of now, the only speakers the media has released are the following:
1. House Speaker Paul Ryan
2. House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy
3. Senator Ted Cruz
4. Senator Mitch McConnell
5. Indiana's legendary basketball coach Bobby Knight
6. Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette
7. Paster Mark Burns
8. Senator Tom Cotton
9. Former New York City Major Rudy Giuliani
10. Senator Joni Ernst
11. Tennessee Representative Marsha Blackburn
12. Governor Scott Walker
13. Governor Mike Huckabee
14. Governor Asa Hutchinson

I find this list very interesting. The first this I find interesting is that Ohio's own Governor, John Kasich will not be speaking. Since the convention is basically in his own backyard and Ohio is his territory, I find this very odd that he is not speaking. In my opinion, John Kasich is simply not speaking at the convention because he is bitter from having to drop out due to his unpopularity among states. I feel this is more embarrassing for him that he is not speaking because essentially he is not representing Ohio, in my opinion. What I also find interesting is that in every past RNC there have been at least twice as many speakers as compared to this 2016 convention. Many performers are also refusing to perform on the same stage Donald Trump will essentially take the Republican nomination on. This is such a unique convention because Donald Trump essentially has no one he is running against since all of the other candidates dropped out at various points in the campaign. I find it truly interesting that so many people will not speak at this convention. I understand not supporting Trump, but I also feel in a way there is an obligation to support your party. Even if the candidate is not ideal, if everyone in the party works together for the constructive better, the candidate will oblige simply for the re-election factor. Many Republicans are coming into Cleveland the week of the RNC but are refusing or denying to participate. Ben Carson, former Republican candidate endorsed Donald Trump and I think that is a truly commendable thing to do. Just as Bernie Sanders endorsed Hillary Clinton, I see this more as supporting the party, not the person. I also find it very interesting that since Donald Trump has the least favor-ability out of every candidate (in history), he is still chosen by the people of the United States as the Republican nominee.  If Mr.Trump was truly that unfavorable, why did he win in so many states by landslides of numbers sometimes? I think it will be very interesting to see what would happen if we took the politician out of politics. Most likely, I think it would burn down in flames, but there is always that 1% things could go wonderfully. This is going to be a very interesting convention and I am very interested to see if any more speakers happen to appear.

No comments:

Post a Comment